I’m a Latin teacher living with my husband and menagerie (two cats + corgi) in Alabama. I wrote a lot of stories in middle school and high school, determined to be the next Agatha Christie, but gave up in despair and went to college. No creative writing happened for a long time, but there was a whole lot of reading and thinking and growing.
And then one summer I found myself between jobs with literally nothing to do. Literally. I played a lot of Civilization (SPQR) and started my first [Roman-empire-sized] quilting project. I don’t even remember what drove me back to writing that summer, but it was like the returning home montage in a Hallmark movie.
Fast forward a couple years, and I finally had a manuscript on my hands that I didn’t know what to do with. Somehow I connected with Query Kombat and went on to be the middle grade champ, which shocked me beyond all belief, but the problem was…my manuscript wasn’t as ready as I’d thought. (Shocking, I know.) But I was encouraged that I had something, connected to some lovely CPs, and revised. And revised. Worked on other stories. And revised some more.
The Curious Curse of the Lonely Library (MG Contemp. F) has gone through so many changes in the past year, and I’m damned proud of those changes. I’ve grown as a writer and a reader, and I can’t wait to see where this story goes next. It’s full of everything that engrossed me as a child (and still does), the things that I find beautiful and mysterious and terrifying. So if you like the smell of old books, light shining through stained glass, and the pathos of generational woe, we might be a good fit.
//because this bio still lacks that Bachelor contestant vibe, here are some pithy facts about me:
- As a child I daydreamed about Anne of Green Gables and the Chronicles of Narnia.
- In HS I was obsessed with Harry Potter and A Series of Unfortunate Events.
- And right now I’m swooning over Mo & Dale, Wells & Wong, and the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place. (Addendum: …and Percy Jackson! Dreadfully late to the party, but it makes my classics major heart pitter-patter.)
- Thomas Newman soundtracks are my favorite writing music.
- I write best in a wooden chair. Soft seats breed soft words.
- I love coffee, but Earl Grey is better writing fuel.
- When itching to re-watch a favorite show, I play Doctor Who or 30 Rock roulette.
- INFJ // Ravenpuff
- DID I MENTION I HAVE A CORGI?!